Skip to main
01446 794199 Request a call back

Hit & Run

For all that cycling is a great way to beat the traffic on a commute, there is nothing like getting out on the bike on quiet roads and fresher air. As idyllic as that can be, riding on often unmarked roads can lead to its own problems.

While a knock-for-knock accident on a blind bend is an unpleasant shock in a car, what is effectively a head-on collision on your bike is another thing entirely can lead to serious injuries or worse.

In this sort of claim, Cyclinglawyer uses forensic collision investigations to put you in the best possible position to win your claim.


Can I claim after a hit and run accident?

Yes, even where the driver is never identified, you can still make a claim.

Who do I claim against in a hit and run?

If you’re injured in a hit and run accident when cycling then you can claim against the motor insurers’ bureaux (or MIB as they tend to be known). They are a backstop insurer for claims against untraced drivers.

Do I need to report it to the police?

You should always report hit and run accidents to the police. It’s best to do so sooner rather than later, and always within 2 weeks of the accident happening.

I didn’t report the accident to the police, can I still claim?

Yes, though the process will be a bit more involved. Normally the MIB will confirm the nature of the accident with the police. If it’s not reported to the police then we will need to evidence the accident from other sources like witness evidence or medical records.

What if the driver is identified after I've started my claim?

The MIB has the power to direct any insurer to deal with a claim. If the driver is identified after a claim is made then the MIB just redirect against the correct insurer and your claim carries on.

Will the MIB try to reject my claim?

Quite possibly. They are a statutory body who are supposed to be impartial as to whether they payout, but they are funded by big insurance. Commercial reality means that they don’t pay out if they can avoid it, so those funders can pay less in.

Do I need a specialist solicitor for a cycling claim against the MIB?

You definitely do. The MIB often reject claims they shouldn’t and when they do the claims process if both arcane, and completely different to the normal court process. Specialist knowledge can make all of the difference.

Would my claim be no-win, no-fee?

Yes. We can deal with your hit and run case on a no win-no fee basis. If we’re not successful, you won’t pay a penny.

Talk to one of our Cycling Accident Claims Solicitors

For expert advice: